BLOGLOVIN BUTTON PINTEREST BUTTON ISTAGRAM BUTTON MAIL BUTTON

Monday, August 18, 2014

The Power of the Pickle


As many of you know, we planted our first garden this year.  When I first started making plans- I imagined it being a hobby for me.  I would spend quiet time watering and tending my little plantings- while Jonas played with Kev or nearby with his ball or sand table.  Kevin built the garden beds and I planted the tiny plants.  It felt nice to work in the dirt and connect with the earth - it was foreign and new and exciting.


 Very soon after finishing the beds -  I quickly learned that this garden hobby was not just mine.  Our little man was thrilled to help me water and tend the crops.  It became such a fun routine every morning- we would grab our hats- he would insist on finding a glove of some sort (gardening is serious work after all) and we would start our work.  In no time at all - I noticed that he would spend more time checking on the plants than he would spend playing in the yard.  I came to terms with the fact- that this garden was his.  And when our first "pickle" was ready to be picked,  he was over the moon!  And he carried that "pickle" along with him the entire day.


I took lots of pictures and looking back through them, I can see these little plants growing and Jojo growing right along with them.  We loved eating the tomatoes and "pickles" fresh from the garden but the thing we loved best was the daily tending and excitement as we watched the plants grow and produce.  The garden was one of the best hobbies we have had yet.  Summer veggie season is coming to and end but we aren't ready to stop.  We are adding another large garden bed and are planning our Winter garden!  We just can't get enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment